Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Week 3 Responses-Dow

In reading Dang, Ocklemann, and Higginbotham’s pieces, I gathered a lot that I believe that I can apply to my long paper this quarter. Higginbotham strong and incredibly complex argument stuck out to me the most in the ‘Metalanguage of Race’ piece. Her argument possesses a thesis, historical context, and a rhetoric that seems like a call to action. Amazingly so, each of the moving pieces are clear and concise. In her paper, Higginbotham states that the narrowness of mainstream feminism (implicitly ‘white feminism’) is ironic because the equality and strategies imposed in the movement have stood central to the black quest for equality. Furthermore, feminist scholars must do more to reject the current position of feminism and bring race more into the analyses of power. While her words are complex, Higginbotham’s thought process and argument ring very clear.
Higginbotham continues her introduction by laying out three clear stages of action: define the segments of race, gender, and sexuality; expose the role of race by highlighting its power in other power dynamics; and recognize race as a vehicle for dialogue around power relations.  These three, clearly defined stages gave me a road map to follow for the rest of her paper while also not “spoiling” the contents of the rest of the paper: it gave me a structure but retained by want to keep reading.
The final parts of Higginbotham’s paper that I found really great were the clear definitions and context for topics, as Higginbotham perceives them. For example, the entire section “Defining Race” provides a lot of legwork to align my understanding of defining race to Higginbotham’s thus making the rest of her argument clearer. Additionally, Higginbotham shines light on both sides of many arguments to help illuminate the complexities of the issues she is bringing up. For example, her discussion of the drug problem as something that is projected as an issue in lower-class, black life and involves drug dealers while in fact there is a hole other side of big business moguls and the simple economic supply chain.
Like Higginbotham, Ocklemann did a lot to try and illustrate the complex issue of perception, only her paper was involving flappers and the perception of women in the 1920’s rather than race and feminism. Ocklemann’s general argument was: the flapper was the embodiment of the “modern woman” as she was given new opportunities and freedoms (namely sexual freedoms). Yet, the different portrayals of the flapper in media show the lack of a unified perception of the flapper and thus, the “modern woman.”
There were a ton of things in this paper that I found very successful. First and foremost, I loved the topic and sources. The perception of flappers is something I have found very interested and have been incredibly confused about since first learning about them in middle school. The intrigue of the subject was utilized very well. I thought that opening with the exploration of one person’s life and role in the time period was a great hook while also being very informative. Additionally, I thought the connections made to the modern day perception of women and sexuality (both implied and explicit) were a great way to make the historical paper feel more relevant, especially since the major sources being analyzed were all older ads, stories, and films; it brought relevance to the piece.
I think that using magazine ads, film, and fiction was a very successful way to show the various impressions people at the time had of flappers and, more generally, the contradictory attitudes towards women. Futhermore, Ocklemann did a great job of supporting these media sources with concrete examples and definitions of terms like “modesty” and “flapper.” In the area of improvements, there wasn’t much that I found. My biggest improvement would be to “shorten” the road map Ocklemann provides at the beginning of the paper. Whereas Higginbotham explained where her paper was going very succinctly and without “ruining” what was to come, I thought Ocklemann spent to much time on the section and gave me a bit too much information about what was to be included in the paper. I wasn’t as keen to keep reading her piece because of that. However, because her topic was so cool, I obviously wanted to keep reading.
Like Ocklemann, I thought Dang had a great hook in the opening. Opening with a powerful quote was a very strong beginning to the paper that not only helped set the tone but also was informative to what the rest of the paper was to be about. I thought Dang’s central argument was Turner’s shift in rhetoric from the war period to the post war period mirrored the shifting environment in the post war period; both shifts illustrated that the Civil War had not brought about significant change, which in turn led to the rise in the Emigration Movement. Because of this argument including a change in rhetoric, I thought Dang did a great job in juxtaposing both private and public writings and speeches from Turner from both these periods and explicitly stating the differences. I especially liked the use of the letters as a primary source. Since letters are written typically for a private space, they can be more accurate in depicting a person’s beliefs. It was a great strategy to support Dang’s argument about Turner’s shift in rhetoric.

I also thought that Dang did a great job providing historical context throughout the piece rather than in just one section. Since the Emigration Movement is something I don't know much about, it was nice that she brought up historically relevant context at the moment I felt like I needed it rather than front loading the essay with it. I also thought Dang’s inclusion of Turner’s multiple perspectives on Emigration was very important and, for me, further legitimized Dang as a historian. She included Turner’s beliefs on various actors ranging from the US government, southerners, and African Americans and highlighted his accusation of blacks as passive. I don’t have much to say on the improvement of Dang’s paper except that at times I found it a bit harder to follow and less “shocking” than Ocklemann’s piece but that could also be due to the fact that I am more familiar with the “modern woman” and 1920’s period than I am with Turner and the post Civil War period.

No comments:

Post a Comment